Saturday, October 2, 2010

Finally, the curtain draws

Yes finally. I have completed in moving & unpacking! It is a big project u noe.... so much has been planned, organised, items purchased, old things thrown away.... for the last few months or at least half a year... or I should say, back to the days viewing for new house, reno.... what has been gone through are no joke really. I don't want to re-play. I don't want to go thru this anymore.

Having stayed in a private property and a HDB flat, I must say indeed there are differences in comparison. Why people have to pay a high price for a private place? I now know. I have absolutely no problem no issue no prejudice no preference in staying either one. Each has it's own pros and cons. Personally this is what I feel, what I thought:

1) Age difference
Depending on which area/estate, as ours is a 30-year resale flat in the matured estate, there are many old folks. The scariest is we see funeral wake very frequently block after block, sometimes 2 or 3 on a same weekend. 3 years in G8, we've only seen once.

Another thing is that, as most 'older' residents stayed there for many many years, they are like 'occupiers' of the whole corridor. Their plants stretched it all, I'm lucky enough not to stay 2 level down cos we see clothes hanging-dry the whole stretch of corridor, with big-sized panties of women and men. Gosh! My next-door neighbour is better, they ONLY occupied the stretch with 3 big pots of plant on a long straight self-created table in front of main door (ok lah, leaving a good 80cm for us), and their shoe rack on our little corner. Because our shoe rack is a little long, the movers just left it upright squeezing beside their's. I purposely left it there untouched for 3 days to see if our 'uncle or aunty' will 'automatically do something for us but ehm... we waited and waited until last nite hubby finally asked them if they can shift it to the other side. See, on their right is the little corner 'supposedly' to be ours, I guess. Cos no other space for us mah. Then on their left is the long stretch. But uncle said "canot leh, here we regularly need to pray ancestor de"..... so he win liao lor. Hubby said 'people say ancestor leh, bigger than anything so we got nothing to say le' Ok lor, never mind. This is just very minor. We just naughtily made some faces after closing the door but truely, we are alright. I really miss our friendly neighbours at G8.

Probably we are new and our house is new, the whole block practically knows that our home is 'very nice'! How we know? There was this aunty from the highest floor came down and asked hubby "I lived upstairs, heard your house very nice but I got no time to come and see so I come today".... Amused? Another uncle came from the other stack but same block, "I heard your house do until very nice leh" Words spread from the day this unit is selling, has sold. Neighbours who saw our house share with their next neighbours and next next neighbours. We are amused and decided we must keep very very very low profile cos watever happens, the whole block will know. Ya, maybe the whole AMK will....

2) Noise
Certainly the private homes are sound-proof. Here, first nite only, our ceiling light was 'trembling' because the neighbour upstairs either step too hard on the floor or having some stumping activities. We worry the lighting would drop anytime. During night time, I could even hear the footsteps (with sleepers) from upstairs. The scoldings of children 2 units away. The most unfortunate thing is hubby is not able to blast out his movies from now onwards... hahaha!
Heng arh... that saves my ear!

3) Carpark and environment
Despite no moonlighting and full-height window view, I quite like the environment here. More lively with people and activities. Almost every night or morning, there are aunties dancing to the music just opposite. I can see white blue sky and city view fm living room. The hawker and market is just nearby and the coffeeshops here are always crowded even at nite. The only thing is the open carpark where the vehicle can get really heat-up and the inconvenience during rainy days. As for G8, certainly comparable are the facilities and the ever-energetic little neighbours running around with their swimming trunks and bikini, and the macho runners in the gym room.

4) Internal structure
We realise most private homes structured to have some privacy. We can even run naked at home sometimes... Ooops! But here, no no no way! Hubby went opposite block to 'peep' in our unit. It is truly almost bare! I mean, no privacy, he can see me raising hands, wearing what, walk to which corner. Oh no.... hence that is also why we did the roller blind in utility room and kitchen after 'enjoying' what our neighbour opposite does. It allows you to see from the kitchen right to the living room, even their tv show, straight in.

So far, this is all at the moment. I am sure there will be more experiences as day goes by. I am hoping I will love this place more day by day, and knowing, getting along well with more and more neighbours each day. Last but not least, I am wishing our 'White House' will not turn into yellow and grey so soon.....

No comments: