Haiz.. needs another weekend for the fridge, sofa and wardrobe. Seriously consider a smaller unit next time, everything compact and less. I think we have too many glass windows and glass items. We need less curtain, less furniture. Ya, the lightings, must be simpler, changing-friendly de. Will certainly consider the tube fluorescent light. And the sofa, should get a black one. Scrub and leathering is tiring. Sob sob... wer is my maria huh??? Can I have a magic helper? Aladdin, wer r u?
Every year while I was cleaning away, I'd think of my dear grandma. How we done up our house, decor and get ready for the CNY then. Because we have many relatives and all of them will visit us early morning from the first day, we always have to prepare a lot of food and goodies. Grandma would prepare food items for praying and for meals while I'd do the cleaning job. We even tried painting the house ourself. Grandma was so cute she even help painting the lower part while I do the upper. A few times I even cleaned until midnite.
I was so used to helping Grandma preparing foods for CNY, with our kitchen stuffed with alot of food items. Because those years back in hometown, the foodstalls and market would closed for at least 3 days. Even now, though only 2 of us, I would also get alot of foodstuffs and seafood in case we have visitors and I can dish up some meals. And one thing a must, sweet dessert on the first day. But now, my bro-in-law didn't even bring the nephews over. The culture here is so much different from ours.
I really missed those days when Grandma was around. It was so much more interesting. On the eve, I would start deco the house while she do the praying. My neighbours and I would prepare very long fire-crackers, from our 2nd storey and lighted them up when the clock struck 12. Next morning the ground would look very beautiful with the red pieces. Then we'll prepare angbao and get ready the new year goodies. We'll not sleep until about 2am, putting on our new nightgown or pyjamas. Every year, I can't wait to wake up early to put on new clothing. First thing first after shower, I had to serve tea to her, I'd kneel down if relatives not here yet. And, must say good things orh. Then also serve tea to all my uncles when they were there.
On the first day, Grandma would cook a big pot of vegetarian beehoon, the nyonya style. It is the 'family rules' or her rules that we must eat at least a veg meal on first day. We can only touch meat after 12pm.... that is 'bak kwa' or our all-time favourite 'babi hong'. She would also cook a big pot of dessert, like chng teng. . The 'babi hong' is the dish that everyone waiting for 12pm to strike. Just these 2 dishes for the whole day, eat with rice. It was our culture but we enjoyed them very much. And we'd be very busy whole day, having different groups chatting, eating, watching tv, some playing cards, the elder one playing mahjong. Our house would be very packed and everyone just sits around on the floor. When late afternoon came, everyone left by then, me and Grandma would clear the house and top up whatever goodies cos our second day would be the same too. My second uncle's birthday falls on the 2nd day hence we would celebrate for him at our place. We'd usually have steamboat. The young, the old will enjoy some beer over dinner. It was soooo memorable. This year, my second uncle still lying in the care centre. I'm not optimistic we will celebrate anymore CNY, birthday with him.....
My CNY is so different now without her, without my eldest uncle, without my 2nd uncle.....
No comments:
Post a Comment